Tuesday, August 12, 2014

15k's and my equal furthest yet

So the challenge for Sundays long run was 15ks which was to equal my furthest longest run ever.

Although I was a little sore from a pump/grit double two days before, I went into it this run with a much better mind set than this time last week. I decided to try a different technique and set off a bit slower than usual to try and save energy for the last few k's..

As usual the first 5k's were pretty good, then I got to the 8/10 k without too much drama but then the same old battle began. I started feeling the pain by the 12/13th and it became a real struggle. I nearly cut my run short but thankfully I had some fight left in me and pushed through by walking/running the last few k's.

Some good news though.. I managed to beat my first attempt at 15ks in run for the kids earlier this year by 5 minutes so that's something, right?

As I waddled my way through these last few k's I couldn't help but feel anxious and wondered how I could possibly add on another 6 k's on top of this. Thankfully, since then, I've seeked and received some great advice from a very good friend who just happens to be an experienced marathon and ultra marathon runner. With this new advice and some tweaks to my current program I'm feeling much better about things and know I've got time up my sleeve to re-focus and get my run on. So thank you CB - you're support and avice means a lot and it couldn't have come a better time.

And with that in mind, it's off to bed for another big day tomorrow.
Night all and Happy Running xo

2 comments:

  1. Sarah do you ever read back on your blog posts and think about yep this was my furtherest I've run, and that was the furtherest I've run, thinking you couldn't do any more, and then realise how far you have come? Love that we have blogged these journeys we've been on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Yep I sure do...That's the best thing about being keeping a blog like ours, makes you really appreciate how far we've come and have a good laugh at ourselves doing it. :)

      Delete