Sunday, August 3, 2014

14 km's ~ it was a cold one

AKA Sunday long run. The Goal 14km's in 1.30... According to my program I should have been running 15 k's this wkend but with Run Melbourne on last weekend it put me a week behind. The plan was simple. Go out and try my best to get to 15 but the aim was to get through 14.

All rugged up, it was that cold I had a red nose, lol. Weird though cause also needed the sunnies
 It was 1.3 degrees which felt like -1.6 and was very frosty when I left home but that didn't bother me. I layered up, and just wanted to get it over with. Despite the cold and frosty conditions the sun was out and there was no wind. The perfect conditions. As I headed out, I wasn't very confident at all and was already pre-empting a bad run... That probably set the tone all morning and I haven't got anyone else to blame but myself. Since Run Melbourne last Sunday I haven't run all week and I think that must be why I really struggled. 

A very frosty morning
As usual, my first 4 k's were awesome, another record - I smashed it. Got through the next few k's ok, but as I approached the 10k mark I was really struggling. Although, somehow, looking at my splits, my 10th k was the quickest so not sure how that happened. By the 11th the mind games set in and I was finding any excuse to not run. I stopped at the loo, stopped at the drinking taps, it wasn't good. I thought at this rate I'd never get home, and every time I hit the next km and my nike app came on with my times & pace I was getting more annoyed with myself as it kept slipping. I eventually got to 14ks and then walked / ran the last kilometer home. 

One of the bridges covered in frost which I nearly face planted on as it was that slippery.
During the last couple of kilometers all I could think about was how can I get better at running the second half of these runs. I'm really comfortable with 8-10ks but how can I finish better and stronger. With 69 days until my first half, it's getting a little scary now. I know I can do it, and we're allowed to have bad runs. Its just annoying that you can go from having an awesome run one week to then have a bad one the next.

Today's run
At the end of the day, I can't be too disappointed with the end result. I eventually completed the 14ks in 1.36. (6 mins outside the suggested time) and I still managed to keep under my overall average pace of 7'mpk... I guess all I can do now is put today's run behind me, move on and work towards a better week next week. After all, I still just ran the 2nd furthest run I have ever run before.  

But, after getting home, there was no time to rest cause it was off to our favourite cafe where my man shouted me a lovely a brunch and I indulged in some lemon ricotta pancakes with mixed berries and ice-cream. So yum and very spoilt.... 


So until next time, here's to a better week next week, 
Happy running and night all xo

No comments:

Post a Comment