Sunday, December 1, 2013

I love my family

What a day! Am home in the burbs after spending a lovely weekend at mum and dad's in Warragul! Today was a bit of a random day. We decided to go for a drive to Cowes as Dad had lost his gps playing golf there last weekend and some kind person had found it, handed it in and we needed to go pick it up. 

Instead of running the two towns trail as originally planned, we carefully mapped out a 7km course that followed a bike trail along side the freeway all the way in town. Mum was going to ride her bike along side me and dad running. The challenge had been set and we were on our way. 

Plodding along
Dad ran with me for the first 3 km's where we battled with flies, dogs and cows but he urged me to go on ahead and promised that he would catch up. It wasn't long before mum caught up with us on the bike and thankfully had some cold water for us. 
Pit Stop - Was a rather warm morning, so thanks Mum for the water! Was much needed by now
  I was so happy to be out with mum & dad. Two years ago I couldn't keep up with dad and now the tables had turned and I was smashing out 7km. I do love Dad for trying, after all he is retired. And a big shout out to mum as well for riding between us backwards and forwards with cold water. 

The course
As for the time I was pretty happy with it. Did the 7kms in 53 mins. We did take 9 mins to do the first km as we walked most of it to warm up and had a quick pit stop for some water about half way. The best bit about my run was the hills. I just kept going and pushed myself. I didn't stop. A year ago, I would have just given up and walked up them. 

Getting ready to attack the hills
The most rewarding thing about today was sharing it with mum and dad. So thank you heaps for being such an awesome support crew. Oh and I forgot to mention, for the first time in a long time I didn't get stitch. Maybe all I needed was mum's cooking, or maybe it was the fresh air. I'm still yet to figure it out.

 Mum and Dad - Best Support Crew!
We then finished off the morning with a coffee and a quick dip in the water before heading back to Gul and eventually back to the big smoke!


After such a big day, I finally made it home just before dinner to a message from Peter saying he was on his way home from work with some Pizza and Wine. How thoughtful - he knew that I'd be exhausted and probably couldn't be bothered cooking. Just as well I burnt off the calories this morning hey!

And with that, night all, I'm exhausted.

2 comments:

  1. That's terrific, when we can get our family on board it is GOLD !!! My mum has no chance of running or riding, but she was there at my Mothers Day fun run earlier this year cheering with the best of them dressed head to toe in pink. It made it so rewarding.

    I bet they are sooooo proud of you.

    Carol
    www.finding-carol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol they sure are.
    Your mum some sounds pretty awesome too.. Where would we be without them hey :)

    ReplyDelete