Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sussans Classic ~ My First 10km

This morning I woke to realise the count down was finally over and it was time for me to finally tackle my first ever 10km fun run, in the woman's only Sussan's Classic. 

It was an early start - alarm went off at 5:15am and a friend came over to share a taxi with me to the event which was pre-booked at 6. It was the perfect morning weather wise, no jacket required so yay! We arrived at the event at 6.30 am. A little early you might say considering the warm up didn't start til 7.15 but I'm one of those annoying ones who prefer to get there early rather than stressing and not making it on time. It also gives you time to take in the atmosphere and go for any last minute piddles. 

I did it! :)
I was feeling pretty good and only just a little bit nervous so it was nice to have the company over there. We eventually met up with all the girls and surprisingly the time went pretty quick so before we knew it were on the starting line ready to take off. It's such a lovely event as only women can enter. There were plenty of women dressed up in tutu's and fancy dress but also plenty wearing bibs in honor of friends and loved ones they had lost.

The first kilometer was a bit slow as we had to dodge through all the walkers and were running up and down the curbs just trying to get past everyone. It was also lovely as we got start with the half marathon runners which meant the 4 of girls could all start together. We got through the first couple k's together then took off at our own pace.

I felt really strong for my first 5 kilometers. Just outside my pb (35 mins) but given the slow start I was ok with that. The sun was out, slight breeze it was all good... I then got to the 7 km and realised I was 3 mins quicker than my time with mum and dad last week so Yay. For some strange reason I started to get emotional. I don't know if was the people lining up along side of the road cheering us on or whether I realised I'd gone further than I ever had on my own. I had to pull myself together as I was nearlly at the end and I knew there would be plenty of photographers. 

I got to the 8km ok but the last 2 k's was by far the toughest. Head wind and into the sun.
I got to the last half kilometer and saw the finishing line and thought woo hoo - time to push. Somehow I found something left in the tank and did my fastest kilometer on the last k. Crazy..  

The Course

For my first ever 10km run I was very happy. Official time 1 hr 11 mins. I was aiming for around the hour and 15 but really had no idea. It's the first 10km's of many I'm sure.

I should also give a big shout out to all my other girlfriends who smashed their pb's, ran with injuries and JFDI (Just F'n did it). You girls are awesome and the reason I'm here - thank you. 

My next big challenge will be the Run for the Kids 15 km in April... My favourite fun run ever as it raises money for the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal... Can't wait...

My Official Results

And finally, the best thing about today, is that I'm now sitting on the couch while Peter is cooking me a 3 course dinner... Aren't I spoilt? Oh, and I even made it on the 10 news, I'm famous!

Night all xo

No comments:

Post a Comment