Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Australia's First Running Convention

As usual, it's been another crazy weekend ... It all started on Saturday when I was lucky enough to attend Australia's first Running Convention at the Parks in Albert Park with my friend Louise.
 The day was full of workshops and seminars that covered a range of topics to suit all levels of runners and interests.



We arrived at the venue at 10 which allowed just enough time to wonder around and check it all out before sitting down to the first couple of seminars. We were asked to show a hands of those that had competed in ultra's right down to those who were training for their first 5k's. The amount of elite runners in the room was inspiring.

It then went into discussions around planning your running year, goal setting and some tips and tricks in preventing long terms injuries. Will summarise these later on. After these had finished we had a first break in the day, where we were finally able to meet up with another 12wbt runners connect buddy and fellow blogger Carol.. We'd only every chatted through FB and blogs, so it was lovely to finally meet up, and even better,  it felt like we'd know each other for years, don't think we stopped talking all day. Another reason why I love our 12wbt running family.
Carol, Me and Louise finally get to meet. Thanks for the photo Carol and excuse the bad hair
The next session took us outside into the glorious sunshine for a yoga & injury prevention session. Here, we learnt some basic poses and stretches to help find our core and further improve our running.



This then led into a session around strength training for runners. Here, we did a circuit style program that included 3 rounds of 10 x squats / lunges / v-sit ups / push ups & burpees.
Our lovely trainer then took us through some basic moves on the foam rollers and explained the importance of self massage...

Taking it all in..
Finally after our work out it was time for a lunch break. There wasn't much variety to choose from, but thankfully, I stumbled across Dineamic. Delicious tasty nutritional ideas and co founded by ex Essendon player Jason Johnson. Even bumped into the great man himself. They offer a great range to cater for all dietary requirements ie. Gluten Free / Vegetarian / Fructose / No preservatives etc and are designed to aid with preparation, performance, recovery, and diet planning.

After our lovely lunch it was back to the seminar room for a psychology lesson and a panel discussion between 4 elite runners. I nearly didn't stay for this but I'm so glad Carol talked me into it especially when I found out who they were. They talked about how they overcame things like obesity / depression and lost loved ones to become young healthy and inspirational athletes.

The Panel
 Sarah Joyce, the editor of Women's Running Australia Magazine hosted the panel which included,
- Tristan Miller: 52 marathons/52 weeks across 42 countries
- Kelly Hetherington: AU 800m champion
- Oska Inkster-Baynes: NZ ½ marathon champion  
- Brendan Davies: AU Ultra Runner of the Year 2012
The Man behind 52 marathons in 52 weeks - Crazy!
I was so inspired that afterwards, I went to purchase Tristan's book. Thankfully Carol was with me as she pushed me into a photo and mentioned to him that I was about to tackle my first half marathon. He was full of well wishes and then had time to sign my book..


It was the perfect way to finish of such a great day..

I was definitely exhausted by then and not to mention brain fried but it was totally worth it.... In summary here are some of the things I walked away with:

When you're on a long run, and finding it tough play games like, I'll just run to the next tree and then see or picture your running in your favourite place around the world.

 Listen to your body. If you're sore/tired, it's okay, to walk if you have to.

It's okay to split up your runs. As long as your getting the kilometers into legs it doesn't matter. If you're time restricted & need to to do 10s then split it up with 5 in the morning & 5 in the afternoon.

Strength and core training is sooo important. I guess we knew that anyways, but It's nice to be reminded and shown some extra stretches and movements etc

Of course there were plenty more, but I think it's time I wrap this post up..
Thanks for reading if you're still with me.

Night all and happy running x

4 comments:

  1. Great wrap up thanks Sarah. Glad you had such a fantastic time. Are you feeling refreshed and renewed because of the day?
    Awesome that you got your book signed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure thanks Donna. And yep sure are.. My 15 K's on Sunday, seemed a little bit easier. Kept thinking of all my favourite places I'd love to run a half marathon... This might become a bit dangerous though, lol...

      Delete
  2. Haha I sound so pushy!!! Such a great day and so good to meet up. Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - I'm sorry didn't mean for it to sound like that.. Perhaps I should have written, 'talked me into it'! :)

    ReplyDelete