Monday, September 29, 2014

Let the tapering begin

So for my last 'big run' I decided to head home to Warragul to enjoy the fresh air and the rolling hills that I call home.. I had the best sleep in a long time and woke up feeling fresh but a little nervous as the challenge was to be 18-19k's ... It was to be longest run yet.

It was the perfect morning and as there is no water along the towns trail, Mum and Dad had promised they would join me on their bikes as my support crew and would carry some water on board..
Dad even gave a up his usual Saturday morning golf with the boys for this, so it meant a lot that they were both able to join me and they were absolute troopers.
What a perfect morning
Not only that, somehow poor old mum also become our magpie protector .. With spikes and on all on her helmet she was out to get them.. She copped a few close calls but obviously did her job as they didn't come near me....So thanks mum, you're the best ... It was a big day for mum also! Mum was a bit worried she wouldn't be able to  make the distance.. But not only did she do that, she smashed all the hills also.. Way to go mouse.

If only bikes were allowed in the half marathon.
For most of the run I felt pretty good and managed to keep up a 7-7:30 km per minute pace... But then came the hills and I began to fatigue really quickly... Dad  was awesome. As he rode beside me he encouraged me up each and every hill. He would say "Attack, keep pushing, you can do it..  Focus on something ahead and you will be rewarded with a down hill for recovery." I should have been recording him, so I can reply during my half. 
One of the big climbs
By about the 16km mark I was buggered...  I really struggled after that and slowed down to bout 8 mins per km for the last few k's... But the important thing was, I kept going and eventually made it home in 2:25 mins and just short of 19k's..


With 12 sleeps to go all my hard work is done and it's time to taper. 
Quite scary really but I know I've done all the required training, and I was so pleased to get through this big one.  I mean really, what 2 k's more right? So yeah, feeling a little bit better about it now, and know that on the day adrenalin will kick in plus I'll have the crowds cheering me through those last couple of km's as I run towards the finish line.

Bring it on.

It's official. I really do have the best parents every
Night all and happy running xo

2 comments:

  1. Love reading all about your running and your lead up to it. I tried to run I'm not sure it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to your mum and dad. Really where would we be without our support crews. What a gorgeous place to run and that top photo is a ripper. You are ready mate, you really are.

    ReplyDelete