Sunday, March 24, 2013

Run for the Kids

Me as a patient in the RCH
Run for the Kids Charity Fun Run and the Good Friday Appeal, is a cause I hold close to my heart. 

As a 3 yr old, I was diagnosed with Pharyngeal - a form of a clef palate that thankfully didn't turn into a hair lip. Basically I had a hole in the back of the throat and no uvula which meant I couldn't keep food down / talk etc.. I was admitted into the Royal Children's Hospital for two weeks, whilst they operated on me and fixed me up..

Although I was a late developer, the operation and ongoing speech pathology after the op allowed me to live a normal life and for those who know me, you would never even know. As a result of this, I am for ever so grateful to the doctors and nurses who cared for me and of course to mum, dad and my sister, who were so patient and kept taking me from doctor to doctor to find out what was wrong cause they knew something wasn't quite right. I don't think many of you can say that you're little sis helped teach you to talk - thanks Ams!!!

Today was my turn to give something back. I ran the 5.5 km event with bout $30 of the entry fee going towards the appeal. I was really happy with my time, and just outside my PB. With a record number of 35,000 competitors it wasn't about getting my PB, for me it was about reflecting and taking it all in. So many runners with bibs in memory of loved ones that weren't so lucky, and lots of kids wearing bibs saying just simply "thank you".

SO ROYAL CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL - THANK YOU!!

All done, and on the finishing line :)

If you haven't already, please donate to the Good Friday Appeal by visiting the link below.
http://www.goodfridayappeal.com.au/

1 comment: